DO NOT POINT OUT ERRORS IN COMICS POSTED PRIOR TO INFORMATION BEING AVAILABLE
luciferownsme, March 23rd, 2008, 1:55 pm
- Well, all things considered. Modern Easter is a greeting card company bastardization of a Christian bastardization of a Pagan spring holiday... not sure if bastardization is the best word for it, but yeah, if you've known me long enough, you'd know I can be really abrasive towards Christianity.
Once upon a time when Christianity was young and unpopular, I wonder if there was a scene like this:
Pagans: Why would we switch to new religion? Then we have to change our holiday calendar!
Christians: Our holiday is on same day! How's that?
Pagans: Oh! That is so simple! Okay!
Christians: Oh and don't forget to come to church every Sunday for the rest of your life
Pagans: lolwut?! You're joking right?
Christians: No... THINK OF YOUR IMMORTAL SOUL! YOU'LL BURN IN HELL OTHERWISE!
Pagans: I think Odin is friendlier... @w@
But since my family isn't Christian at all (minus one Catholic aunt to whose church wedding I showed up wearing nearly-black brown and black and a pentagram...), our new theory of everything is to celebrate everything one day late so we can buy all the candy for cheap xD I lurve Cadbury eggs.
As to what Altair said. Using medieval logic "God is on our side, thus we win" and Altair is made of pure awesome and win...
Advertisement, April 27th, 2017, 12:11 am
Guest, March 23rd, 2008, 2:04 pm
- Is Altair going to shank that poor choclate bunny?
sarydactl, March 23rd, 2008, 2:09 pm Zeus - The pagans in question are Greeks and Romans =D ! Even though I'm Christian, I realize that most holidays are imitations. I prefer the ORIGINAL version of Christmas, Saturnalia. It lasts a week. Christ was born during Spring anyways >> .
GOAL OF THE YEAR: celebrate obscure holidays c:
Vuther (Guest), March 23rd, 2008, 4:19 pm
- Poor, poor Desmond. Kaxen looks for happy :-D
FelinaofL2, March 23rd, 2008, 4:47 pm
- Holidays are still fun no matter what- after all, they boil down to celebrations with family/friends and yummy food. Good times.
To Saradactl- Here's some obscure holidays: January 15th is National Hat Day. National Joe Day is March 28th. National Cheesecake Day is July 30th. November 15th is National Clean Out Your Fridge Day.
EnterNameHere (Guest), March 23rd, 2008, 6:02 pm
- You better hope that bunny isn't real...
RazorD9, March 23rd, 2008, 9:07 pm
- Well you know the saying, two bastardizations don't make a saint. Or something like that.
Was thinking of creating a oliday in which you HAVE to buy a bunch of crap, in hopes some group trys to put some kind of spiritual meaning behind it. That or just have random people e-mail you e-cards and hope it stays that way. It's the name that I can't really think of.
Zayl-san, March 23rd, 2008, 10:16 pm
- Easter was Pagan then Christian?
Isn't Easter supposed to celebrate the resurrection of Jesus? :o
Or was someone resurrected back in the Pagan days to? :3
luciferownsme, March 23rd, 2008, 10:47 pm
- The holiday just comes at the same time. Pagan holiday was mainly about the return of spring and the Christians used it for the return of Jesus and put it at the same time. The remains of the pagan holiday are seen in the bunnies and eggs because the Germanic spring goddess was named something like Eostre (not so sure on the spelling) and her animal was the bunny.
Revan (Guest), March 24th, 2008, 7:44 am
- yea the whole "you'll burn up in hell if you don't go to mass every sunday" is just a thing to keep the churches open... (i'm christian and i believe that) =P
Bahnree (Guest), March 24th, 2008, 9:27 am @ Revan - Andddd then there's some of us who actually go to church because we believe in and love God. :)
Modern holidays are pretty messed-up though.
Krimsin, March 25th, 2008, 2:17 am
- I think you're missing the true meaning of easter. When the angry Jesus Christ rises from the dead to feast on human flesh. So we give him offerings of chocolate eggs and shotgun rounds to the brain to.....you know, appease him.
Happy zombie Jesus day.
Zayl-san, March 25th, 2008, 5:08 am
- Have you seen the Zombie Jesus action figures?
Neylok (Guest), March 26th, 2008, 1:40 pm
- Kaxen was a witch?
LordLeverette (Guest), March 30th, 2008, 4:16 pm
- there goes altair using his hidden blade in normal jobs again
Kiana Wolf, April 2nd, 2008, 6:47 am
- I completely agree on the day-late thing. Valentine's day? Pfft, no date. Day after? All the chocolate my brain can handle and more. X3
Rebelshade (Guest), April 4th, 2008, 4:07 pm
- i don't think you know the right Christians. great comic, btw
Name ;-) (Guest), May 3rd, 2008, 10:21 pm
- Yeah, Easter was a Wiccan holiday. And so was Christmas, actually. Jesus wasn't born until April. Basically, when they tried to convert the pagans, they figured using then same days for holidays would make it easier to convert them.
Wrong (Guest), May 11th, 2008, 3:04 am wrong - So many things I have read here are wrong...
katzarai (Guest), May 19th, 2008, 7:26 pm Easter - The festival is Ostara and is of Germanic origin and is celebrated by modern day Asatru (translation ~= true gods).
Guest, June 26th, 2008, 9:42 am
- @ sarydactl
dont forget sepember 18th!!!!(or is it 19th?) INTERNATIONAL TALK LIKE A PIRATE DAY!!!!!!!!!!
Biopsycho (Guest), October 29th, 2009, 8:28 pm
- Easter=Zombie Jesus Day!
Christmas=A Pagen holiday where the pagens would worship the tree gods for keeping the "Christmas tree" alive(or something like that)
And I'm an atheist, so send your atheist-bashing hate mail to me!
I still do Christmas though, cuz it's not really a christian holiday. :D